30 June, 2014

THE JOY OF BEING ALIVE

1 comments
Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans. - John Lennon

If you are going through hell, keep going. - Winston Churchill

What is a glass of water to a man who is very thirsty?
What is a spoonful of sugar to a man who has tasted bitter things?
What is a simple ordinary day for a man who has faced death?

Cancer, regardless of its type, stage, or age it strikes, carries the fear of mortality. One of my early doctors (not someone I would consider truly qualified) told my parents, "Your son won't live for much longer, maybe six months." While I felt frustrated at that moment, I was determined to prove them wrong. Here I am, more than six months after my cancer diagnosis, still on the same Earth (not beneath it), continuing living, and enjoying life better than ever before. To achieve this, I battled my greatest enemy, enduring all the pain that came my way, without dwelling too much on the outcomes. Over the past six months, you may have experienced normal or even great times in your life: your first job, your first trip abroad, your first date, your first kiss, a happy marriage, or entering a prestigious college. However, for me, those days were nothing short of hell.

Life itself is a battle, a struggle, a blend of sorrows and happiness; no one is exempt from this truth. In the past eight months, I've heard the word "cancer" more times than I've heard my own name in the last 22 years. I've encountered numerous difficulties, faced mental turmoil, and endured excruciating physical pain. All of this led me to appreciate my life and reflect on how strong and resilient I am. There were times when I vomited throughout the day, rendering me unable to take a single bite of food. The feeling of nausea was so intense that the mere mention of food made me retch. I spent weeks lying reluctantly in a hospital bed, enduring chemo drugs entering my body through my veins, drop by drop, while I watched them with a mix of wonder and dread. Looking back, I can't help but ask myself, "Was that really me who went through those situations? Where did I find all that strength?"

This journey has taught me one thing: as human beings, we possess tremendous potential, yet we often fail to recognize it. Instead, we fret over trivial matters, convinced that our problems are insurmountable. Let me clarify, I'm not suggesting that cancer is the only problem or that your worries are insignificant. What I am saying is that no matter how dire your circumstances or how monumental your problems may appear, you are ALIVE. Find happiness in that fact. Right now, there are people in hospitals enduring immense pain, fighting each moment against death. Remember them.

The privilege of being alive is a cause for joy. If you find yourself disagreeing with this sentiment, I respectfully propose that your resistance doesn't arise from the falseness of the statement, but rather from your own forgetfulness or denial of the underlying truth it conveys. I'm not implying that I will be happy every second for the rest of my life. There will be moments of frustration; unfortunately, these moments have persisted even after being discharged from the hospital. This is because external factors can sometimes make you sad, and the people around you can also contribute to that feeling. However, when frustration strikes, try placing your hand over your heart and feeling it beat. Isn't that reason enough for celebration? Reflect on it. This is what I do when frustration sets in, because I have tasted death.

Do not let the hero within your soul perish...

One Response so far.

  1. vinayak says:

    One of the most motivating articles I have read in recent time... Living example for how the hardships shape our lives into a better one if we don't stop trying :)

 

Total Pageviews